Just got this from FEP, the Federation of European Professional Photographers about copyright. It sounds like common sense, however many would still (mean to) forget.
1. Respect copyright on photographs.
2. Always ask permission from the photographer if you want to use a photograph.
3. Do not trust anyone who claims that he can give permission. Only the photographer can give permission for the use of his photographs.
4. Make sure that there can be no misunderstanding about the way the photograph is used and the fee agreed.
5. Only use a photograph for the agreed purpose.
6. Always try to find the photographer of the photograph you wish to use. Do not use a photograph when you do not know who took it.
7. Always state the photographer’s name next to his photograph.
8. Do not change, crop or cut a photograph without the permission of the photographer.
9. Be aware of the rights of third parties. Also, ask their permission before using the
10. Always give the photographer a copy of the publication.